19.7.09

Food For Thought: Vinegar Hill House


Sundays are supposed to be relaxed, a quintessential time to reflect on the past week and think of what's next up on the agenda and today didn't fall short to those expectations at all. With the haute green light from Vogue magazine, my friend Jessica and I hopped on the F train to Brooklyn to check out the cozy and hidden yet oddly chic restaurant Vinegar Hill House. (food always relaxs me) :-)

It was very "grown up," or at least it made me feel that way. From the aged and rusty wooden white doorway hidden behind a green windowed screen, it looks the least suitable for a restaurant, especially aVogue recommended restaurant. (We almost walked past it because the only thing it bared pertaining to a sign was "No. Seventy-Two," its address.) But once we stepped inside of the cottage-like Vinegar Hill House, the location fit its atmosphere perfectly all the way down to the brick-paved streets on Hudson Avenue where it sits. It made me feel at home, like I wouldn't have minded staying there for a day or two (minus the fact that the bugs were starting to come out...I have minor bug-phobia but there is seating inside too), some how Brooklyn has created a small country in the Gotham. We sat outside in the "garden-like" backyard with worn wooden tables and rusted metal chairs, surrounded by beautiful scenery from the vine growing on the perfectly chipped painted brick wall to the wild flowers and trees growing in the soil. What made me even more thrilled with the restaurant was the food of course (I mean looks can only get you so far), the menu was small yet diverse at the same time with unique, healthy, and out of the ordinary choices, and a wide array of wine choices. (they even serve octopus and quail...like I said very "grown-up," at least your taste buds should be.) As for the prices, I would say mildly expensive. You can get dinner, a drink, and dessert for a good 26 buckaroos.

I ordered the pasta special they were offering for Sunday with noodles that were hand-made and a thin meat sauce drizzled over it. The portion was quite small, which at first I thought...WTF I need an "Olive Garden" pasta but it turned out to be very filling without making me feel like I should get on a massive work-out plan after the last bite. (I even had room for dessert). My friend ordered the Cast Iron Chicken, which is like their house special, and of course I tasted it and it was SOOOO amazing. Honestly the best baked chicken I have ever had, I even tried the sauteed sweet onions. (note: I absolutely despise onions). For dessert, we spilt the Strawberry Shortcake,which was of course superb. Instead of the usual soft cake, this one had a bit of a "tough" shell with thick whipped cream and glazed strawberries in the middle of the cake. (Simply delectable) Might I add that our waiter was great and he wasn't half bad looking either.

So, Vinegar Hill House gets the stamp of fabulous from me and Vogue (now you definitely have to go try it...a couple of celebrities have even been spotted there) plus it's the perfect date spot, well at night because they have christmas like lighting outside and its right by the Brooklyn Bridge. (I need credit for the idea if it turns into a date *serious face*)

Vinegar Hill House
72 Hudson Avenue
Brooklyn, New York 11201
Enjoy :-)

Signed fabulously in PINK,
Tahirah <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Are You Thinking?